Namibia is a favourite amongst self-drive travellers to Southern Africa. The changing landscapes will leave you breathless, the wildlife is rich in diversity and photographic opportunities abound around every corner. For the adventurer at heart Namibia is a kaleidoscope of experiences in one country. Here are our Top Ten Reason to visit Namibia:
- Family Friendly Destination – activities abound to keep young and old entertained for hours. It’s a great country for children to get out of their comfort zones and in touch with nature.
- Photographic Paradise – from the budding amateur to the serious professional, Namibia’s dramatic landscapes and spectacular wildlife will keep photographers occupied for hours on end.
- Archaeology Treasures – marvel at the 2500 petroglyphs at Twyfelfontein which are over 2 000 years old
- Ghost Town – visit the ghost town of Kolmanskop, near Luderitz, once a bustling little German town was abandoned when diamond prices crashed and operations were moved to Oranjemund. The town is slowly being enveloped by encroaching sand dunes.
- Wildlife Galore – Etosha National Park is one of the biggest game reserves on the African continent and does not disappoint when it comes to wildlife viewing. Etosha is famous for its “white ghosts” – Elephants with a thick coating of white dust that lets them blend in with the landscape, a sight to behold!
- Ship Wrecks – the Skeleton Coasts is the last resting place of over a thousand wrecks all with interesting stories behind them. One of the most famous wrecks is the Dunedin Star which sank in 1942.
- Quality Camp Sites – Namibia offers a variety of camp sites throughout the country, perfect for adventurous self-drive travellers. Camp sites are generally well maintained and nothing beats sitting around the camp fire admiring the star filled skies.
- Sunny Climate – with winter temperatures reaching up to 23 degrees, and hot summer months of 40 degrees, Namibia makes for a great all year destination. Keep in mind that in winter the desert can cool down dramatically at night.
- Spectacular Landscapes – with too many to mention, Namibia offers some of the most dramatic landscapes for visitors to enjoy – including Spitzkoppe, Fish River Canyon, Sossusvlei and the Skeleton Coast to name a few.
- Improved Access – with more international routes opening it is now even easier to connect to Namibia from Europe. QATAR recently started operating flights four times a week via Doha to Windhoek.
(written by Barbara Kuhn)